Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Harry Flashman

Today is the late George MacDonald Fraser's birthday.  He's best known for his Harry Flashman character from the entertaining and (in my mind) educational Flashman Papers series.  I love these books, and his other writings, too, especially his essays on historical film.  Fraser was responsible for influencing my artistic and literary development in a number of ways, but the most pronounced is the consideration of the ethical responsibility one has when handling events of or figures from the past.



So here's a drawing of Harry Flashman to commemorate the occasion!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Chris - I came across your drawing the other day as I was looking for a picture of "Flashy" to adorn the mountain bike kit for a 9-day race that I'm participating in in April next year, from Johannesburg to Durban.

    My race partner and I are both big Flashgun fans and we thought it would be fun to base our kit on him: our team is called "Flashmen At The Charge".

    Would you be willing to give permission for us to use your image on the arm of our kit? There is no commercial aspect to its use - and we'd be happy to send you some pictures of our kit as we ride through the South African landscape!

    Regards
    Ralph
    Cape Town

    ReplyDelete